Welcome Spring Healthfully
- March 30, 2021
Spring (March to May) is the time when nature is flourished very well with beautiful landscapes adorned with fresh flowers and leaves. It seems like mother earth has just taken a rebirth. The environment warms up after the body-freezing cold of the winter. This inspires people to come out of their houses to explore the refreshing beauty of nature. This is the perfect time for nature lovers to go out for hiking, trekking, and nature-expedition tours when the sun is pleasant but not unbearable.
Let’s explore how we can welcome this season healthfully with the power of the ancient science of life; Ayurveda.
Spring (Vasanta) is the best season for rejuvenation and detoxification of the body. During this time, the environment is endowed with predominant Astringent taste. The Kapha Dosha that was accumulated in the winter starts melting in this season. Therefore, Ayurveda recommends Kapha Dosha pacifying lifestyle and dietary regimen in the Spring season.
Lifestyle For Spring
- People should ideally use warm water for bathing. Warm water helps to melt out the accumulated mucus (Kapha Dosha).
- Day sleep should be strongly avoided in this season. Sleeping in the day causes Kapha aggravation, which may further vitiate the already aggravated Kapha Dosha.
- Body massage (Udvartan) with the powder of Sandalwood, Saffron, Agarwood, etcetera should be done. It pacifies the morbid Kapha Dosha.
- Gargling (Kavala) with warm water is also advisable in this season to maintain oral hygiene.
- Purificatory therapies such as Vamana (emesis) can also be performed in this season for the removal of Kapha Dosha.
- Regular daily exercise is essential in this season for the breakdown of mucus in the body.
Foods For Spring
- Start your day with a light and easy-to-digest breakfast like seasonal fruit juice or tea.
- One must include a balanced mix of light, heavy to digest, and warm foods. One must consume fresh vegetables and add a variety of legumes to their spring diet.
- Vegetables like Asparagus, Carrot, Radish, Spinach, Sprout, Corn, Beets, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, etc. can be consumed in this season.
- Warm and pungent food items such as onions, garlic, pepper, ginger are also beneficial in this season.
- Try to avoid eating heavy, cold and hard to digest foods such as Dairy Products, Cakes, etc. However, this kind of food must be strongly avoided after the sunset.
- Fruits like Apple, Strawberries, Raspberries, Pomegranates, Pears, and Apricots can be consumed.
- One can also sip lukewarm water with honey throughout the day to manage the excess of Kapha.
Spring is the ideal time for detoxification and rejuvenation. Thus, one must follow the Ayurvedic food & lifestyle regimen to balance the body Doshas and perform detox regimen that suits ones body.